Expansion slots and Cards
- Placed inside the cabinet on motherboard.
- Allows up gradation and adding new cards such as graphics or sound cards.
- Are metallic spring fingers that clamp onto the expansion card when inserted.
- Each finger matches up with one segment of the card.
Types of expansion cards:
1) Graphics cards:
- Used to enhance graphics for 2D or 3D applications such as games, movies etc.
2) Sound cards:
- Manages input and output sounds.
- Consists of digital to analog, analog to digital convertor and digital signal processor.
3) Modem cards:
- Used to communicate between PC's via internet.
- Consists of modulator and demodulator to convert incoming and outgoing signals.
- Today's PC's have in-built modem.
4) PC cards:
- Also called PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association) cards.
- Best source of internet and size of the card is equal to the credit card.
- Can also be used to increase memory.
5) TV Tuner cards:
- Allows you to see television, capture video and surf the internet at the same time.
CodesandTutorials © 2014 All Rights Reserved